Thursday, June 30, 2011

BBQ Chicken

I never thought it would be so hard to eat vegetables.

Ok, the eating is not really the hard part, it is the figuring out what to do with/cooking the vegetables before they start to wilt that is the hard part. Since all of these vegetables are grown on a small organic farm with no help from pesticides or chemicals, they have a normal plant life cycle. There is no finding a perfectly ripe tomato in the back of your fridge that was probably pumped with Carbon Dioxide and coated in wax and beetle poison (is that a thing? I don't know, probably) here. So, we have to eat anything leafy pretty fast, and preserve anything that I don't think we're going to eat right away.

Tip of the day!: soak wilted lettuce and greens in an ice bath for a few minutes and they magically perk up!

A few days ago I wanted to have a massive salad and decided that BBQ Chicken (with my homemade BBQ sauce, yes, it is entirely my own recipe of ingredients I found in my fridge and spice rack) was the thing to have with it. I was right. It was an awesome dinner. I think that meals of giant salads and a meat "side dish" are going to be a trend this summer.




The CSA vegetables in the salad are lettuce, sliced purple and red radishes, garlic scapes, spring onions cured in olive oil and lemon juice and then i added carrots and grape tomatoes from the grocery store. With all the harsh radishy/garlicy/oniony flavors going on i went with a sweet dressing of honey, lemon juice, olive oil, and S&P.

I did end up making the garlic scape pesto, and let me tell you DO NOT put too much of it on your pasta! It isn't as strong as garlic, but it will stay with you all day. I little bit goes a long way, and I think next time I will maybe do 50/50 garlic scape and basil for a more traditional, yet spiced up sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment