Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pick-up Week 2

Still no beets yet!! The suspense is killing me.

This week's haul:




garlic scapes - 0.4 lbs
lettuce - 2 small
broccoli raab - 0.5 lbs
fava beans - 3/4 lbs
greens - 1 lb
mint - 2 oz
cucumbers - 0.65 lbs (10.4 oz)
squash - 0.9 lbs

More garlic scapes!! I'm starting to really like these little guys. Someone on the Harvest Astoria twitter feed mentioned that they are going to put theirs on pizza. I think that's a great idea! Greg and I are going up to Lake George for the 4th of July weekend and we always make pizza on the grill. I'll have to remember to bring a few with me.

Also, mint! I'm definitely making my blueberry and mint lemonade this weekend! Here's my recipe, feel free to adjust it to your tastes.

Blueberry Mint Lemonade

Juice of 12 juicy lemons
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
4 cups water

Muddle the blueberries, mint and sugar in a small/medium pitcher. Add the lemon juice and water and stir. Now comes the most important part: Add the lemonade to a glass with crushed ice and a shot (or two) of bourbon, vodka or champagne.

Taste as you go and experiment with the ratios until you get your perfect summer lemonade. Substitute the brown sugar for honey, agave nectar, splenda...whatever floats your boat. Do you have strawberries or mango? Throw those in too! There are no rules, it's just lemonade.

I may also have some fava beans and a nice Chianti....no, no, ok i wont' do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment