Thursday, July 14, 2011

Week 4 Pick Up

Good news! The fruit share has started. We're getting our fruit from Red Jacket Orchards, my favorite! Still no beets though....

Here's what we got this week:

Garlic Scapes - 0.25 lbs
Cucumbers - 1.1 lbs
Red Kale - 0.25 lb
Swiss Chard - 0.65 lb
Dandelion - 0.25 lb
Turnip - 0.5 lb (looks a little rough but good taste due to heat)
Fava - 1 lb
Lettuce - 1 large or 2 small
Squash - 2.3 lbs
Sour Cherries (smaller and squishier) - .55 lb
Dark Cherries (sweet) - 2.2 lbs
juice - cranberry apple (notice the bottle is empty because I drank it as soon as i came home. It was good)


More Garlic Scapes! More Fava Beans! Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to search a spice cookbook I have for some ideas for the fava beans. I really love garlic scapes, but a little goes a long way. If anyone would like some I have a whole drawer full!

For dinner I made what I'm calling Spring Pasta. It was delicious, and luckily I made enough to have leftovers for lunch. I didn't really measure anything so if you want to make this just use as much as you'd like.

Spring Pasta
Boil whole wheat bow tie pasta
Sautee fresh garlic and olive oil in a large pan, then add one of the green squash, cubed
After a couple mins add a can of stewed tomatoes, drained, and all of the Chard, about 2 cups, chopped
Add about 1/3 of a cup of chicken stock, salt & pepper and cook for about 5 minutes until the chard has wilted.
Right at the end throw in a handful of grated parm, some chopped garlic scapes and toss in the pasta.


This weekend Greg and I are heading up to Lake George again for a mini-vacation. I plan on making a chocolate whip cream cake. Good thing we got so many cherries because they'll be great chopped up in the middle layer. I'm going to bring a bunch of garlic scapes for pizza, salads and whatever else I can throw them in to. Also, with all these cucumbers, I definitely see pickles in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment